Parks & Recreation
The Park and Recreation Commission consists of five (5) members and duties include:
- Expand and help others to expand the range and variety of recreational programs available in the Borough.
- Help promote existing Borough recreation organizations.
- Encourage existing Borough recreation organizations to become more involved in meeting the leisure needs of Borough residents.
- Develop a master site plan which explores the feasibility of curing some or all of the facility deficiencies identified in the Alburtis Parks, Recreation, and Open Space Plan.
- Explore mechanisms for assisting quasi-public Borough recreation organizations in upgrading and maintaining their properties.
- Work with Lehigh County and the Lehigh County Wildlands Conservancy to improve existing recreational resources which are under their control.
- Continue to review plans and make recommendations to Borough Council with respect to Borough requirements that developers and subdividers dedicate suitable recreation land or pay fees in lieu of such dedication.
- Establish and maintain an annual maintenance calendar for all Borough-owned or leased park, recreation, or open space land.
- Prepare an annual recreation newsletter for distribution to Borough residents describing recreation activities in and around the Borough.
- Re-evaluate the Alburtis Parks, Recreation, and Open Space Plan at least annually.
- Submit an annual report to Council in connection with the preparation of the Borough budget, which shall include an analysis of community recreation areas, facilities, and leadership, with particular reference to the extent or adequacy of the programs and their effectiveness in view of the public expenditures involved and public needs.
- Perform all other duties necessary or convenient to carry out its powers, or to provide helpful and timely advice and recommendations to Council on matters relating to parks, recreation, and open space within the Borough or for the benefit of Borough residents. The enumeration of specific duties in subsections (a) through (k) above shall not be construed as being an exhaustive list of the functions to be performed by the Alburtis Park and Recreation Commission.